Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dyslexic Children

Camille:

I came across your book in a bookstore and wondered if you’ve worked with dyslexic children? (Children with extreme difficulty learning to read and spell that can\'t be explained by lack of education, poor eye sight, or deficient mental capacity). I and my children share this quality. We have worked hard to achieve acceptable levels of literacy. I’m always looking for additional resources, would you recommend any web pages or resources?

Faye

Faye, thank you for your email. Yes, I have worked with dyslexic students, in fact my brothers struggle with dyslexia and they were one of the main inspirations for writing this book. I included a section in the book on how to adapt the curriculum to dyslexic students based upon the model I used when I was a teacher. Also, one of the greatest books I have read on the subject is

Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level
Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level by Sally Md Shaywitz

This book was initially recommended to me by a dear friend who seriously struggled with dyslexia and found this book to be particularly insightful. I have read it and agree. The one thing is that dyslexia has many faces- that is what most people don't know. They automatically assume that it is only mixing up letters and numbers. Not so, this books helps put things into perspective and helped me as a teacher. I highly recommend it.

If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

No comments: